Rule 061 | Getting Away Creates Space For Great Love
We’re back for Season Five with lots of fun stuff to tell you! First -- tune in for a BIG announcement about our next Great Love Getaway in Puerto Vallarta, and then head to our vacation page to find out how to join us on the trip.
This week’s show is a story-filled recap of everything we learned on our anniversary trip to Morocco, Spain + Portugal in September. Adventure lovers will learn from our silly mistakes and seasoned travelers will laugh at all the ridiculous blunders... A must-listen for anyone who missed our insta-stories and is dying to hear (or willing to tolerate) the full rundown.
Meanwhile -- we’re so excited to be back for another season and thank you so much to our generous Great Love Gang who is making this show possible! Find out how to get involved on the support page of our site and don’t forget to come hang out on twitter and instagram while you listen!
- Check out the highlights of our Summer Travel Series for the full itinerary and all of our BEST adventure tips.
- If Tomorrow Gerard has a problem, then Tomorrow Jessie has a problem too. (Unfortunately, Today Gerard likes to save money without thinking of the consequences and that can sometimes cause a lot of problems for both of them.)
- Jessie’s new favorite travel sleeping contraption is called a trtl pillow and the irony of that name is not lost on either one of us.
- The Peppers packed for two whole weeks in just two tiny carry-ons! Proof that when you pair a stylist with an actuary, they can combine their packing powers for the good of suitcases everywhere.
- Our trip to The Blue City of Chefchaouen got cancelled after a rough night on the overnight train.
- Jessie’s refuses to rest her head on any questionable surfaces so she MacGuyvered herself a sleeping situation using some extra flat sheets and her trusty leather backpack.
- Who doesn’t love sleeping on a mattress that reminds you of a greasy-spoon diner booth?! (Jessie doesn’t. In case that isn’t clear from the episode or the sarcasm of this question.)
- If you ever find yourself on the coast of Central Portugal, please go try the buttered cheese and pesto from Azenhas do Mar.
- If you ever find yourself eating too much buttered cheese at Azenhas do Mar, we recommend chasing it with a digestive enzyme and a couple of charcoal pills.
- Despite any rumors you may have heard, Jessie has NOT switched over to Team Nap.
- Gerard hates to leave a country with their local currency, so Jessie has gotten quite good at spending it out to the very last dirham.
Lessons From Our Anniversary Adventure:
Sometimes it’s ok to pay a little extra money to fly direct.
We could all probably stand to do a lot less laundry in our lives
Switzerland is really expensive.
Never force your wife to ride on an overnight train in Morocco.
It’s always ok to change your plans in the middle of the trip. Sometimes it’s worth it to go with the flow and change your plans at the last minute.
Never ever (4x) travel without antibacterial wipes.
The world isn’t going to end if you occasionally indulge in really good bread while on vacation.
Check the weather before you go on special excursions, and be flexible on dates in order to make it work.
The world would be a better place if everyone anchored their days around a siesta.
Always change your money to the local currency if you want to get the best exchange rate.
Getting outside your typical routine is a great way to experience special moments with your partner.
- Which is worse? Being stuck in a small airplane seat for a short amount of time OR having extra leg room in a big seat for a really long flight with lots of layovers?
- What is your all time favorite food indulgence that you reserve especially for travel or other special occasions.
- Where is the best spot in your neighborhood to take a blanket and a bottle of wine for date night?